I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Showers

Today's devotion actually began taking shape yesterday when I was standing in the shower. After school, I came home to change for work and decided that a nice HOT shower was just what I needed to make me feel better. Thank goodness for good water pressure! Standing underneath that exhilaratingly warm-to-hot spray, I could almost feel the tension melting away. (written 14 Mar 2008)

Are you a shower person or a bath person? One of my good friends is a bath person. Yes, he takes showers, but for him relaxation after a long day at work comes from a hot bath. I remember as a child, bath time was an evening ritual, and I remember wondering when I'd be "big enough" to take a shower! It seemed like a shower was part of growing up.

Yes, a shower is indeed a cleansing act. For most of us, the act of baring ourselves to stand (or submerge) in water, is a daily routine. Compare your shower to being a child of Jesus. Much as you take a shower daily to prepare yourself (or cleanse yourself) for what lies ahead, so should you immerse yourself in God's word and His love. As believers, we are all washed in Jesus' blood. Submitting your life to God is like taking a shower of love. He cleanses your heart and soul, just as you cleanse your exterior with soap and water.

Jesus, in everything I do, shower me with your love, cleansing my heart and soul just as you send showers of rain to renew our earth. Help me to be like rain on parched earth for those who may be looking to find you. Give me the words to say to help guide them to the oasis of Jesus.

"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants." ~Deuteronomy 32:2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment