I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 August 2009

All The Lonely People

I love music. It can say so many things. There are lyrics out there that can astound you with their amazing simplicity. The writer's intent may never be known, for my interpretation of a song may be different from yours, and may be a world away from what its creator had in mind when pen hit paper.

One of my favorite things to do on Saturday nights is listen to Allen's show on WOAB. Tonight, like most Saturdays, he's the music playing on my computer. The banter of a radio personality is more fun when you actually know the deejay, because instead of a voice behind a microphone, it's Allen doing what he loves. When I requested he play something for me, he complied. Much to my surprise, I didn't hear the peppy Partridge Family, Jay and the Americans, or even the never-fails-to-make-me-smile Randy and the Rainbows. What came across the speakers instead was a tune that made me stop, tilt my head in puzzlement, and listen to the lyrics.

This is for all the lonely people
Thinking that life has passed them by
Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup
And ride that highway in the sky

America? I like the band, but why did he play that song, and why now? Suddenly, listening to these lyrics, it hit me. There was meaning behind these words. We have all been there, or at least most of us have: feeling like life has passed us by. Don't give up!! Why not? Because there is hope. There is an answer.

I don't know what was going through the minds of Daniel and Catherine Peek when they penned this tune for 1975's History album, but some 34 years later as I sit and listen to the timeless words my thoughts are spinning. How do I put these thoughts down so that they make sense? The way I normally do: close my eyes, take a deep breath, say a short prayer, open my eyes and begin to type.

Even though I have had times in my life when I wondered if it was truly worth opening my eyes one more time, I guess I never let go of God, because He always intervened and dropped a picture that made me realize just what I had to live for. When I felt like giving up, He showed me just why I could carry on. Close your eyes, but don't give up. Give over.

Give over your concerns and troubles to Jesus. He is far stronger and more capable than we can ever hope to be. What is a crushing weight to me is but a feather to Him. Realize that He can empower you far beyond whatever you could possibly imagine, and come home.

Well, I'm on my way
Yes, I'm back to stay
Well, I'm on my way back home

I am on my way, and to stay this time. Is it not amazing that the distance we wander is minimal when we ask Jesus to bring us home? I am on my way back home. God, thank you for causing my ears to hear what you were telling me this evening. Thank you for prompting Allen to play that song. Please continue to guide my words to honor you.

"Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you."~Mark 5:19 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment