I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

12 December 2009

The Real Winner


In 1935, the Downtown Athletic Club awarded a trophy to a University of Chicago football player named Jay Berwanger. In 1936, this award was renamed the Heisman Trophy in honor of one of the club's founders (and former football coach) John Heisman. This evening, for the first time in its 75 year history, a player from the University of Alabama was announced as the winner. Mark Ingram, Jr. is a sophomore running back for the Crimson Tide, and joins 2007 winner Tim Tebow (Florida) and 2008 winner Sam Bradford (Oklahoma) as the third of only three sophomores to ever win the prestigious award.

I don't claim, by any stretch of the imagination, to be an expert on college football. I do love the game, and love watching a good game regardless of who's playing. Being a southern Alabama girl, of course, until last year my favoritism leaned very heavily in favor of Alabama's Crimson Tide. When I met Rob, he managed to place a few cracks in that Alabama armor. With the rapidly approaching BCS National Championship game in Pasadena, my house will be divided ... sort of. My two favorite teams are playing each other! #1 ranked Alabama will play #2 Texas for the college football national championship. I'm torn, because I have reasons for wanting both teams to win. Obviously, there will only be one winner. I guess the end of this story will be written on January 7!

What do I find most refreshing about college football? The players. Unlike the brouhaha that seems to surround professional sportsmen, college players for the most part appear far more humble. They thank God, their parents, their coaches, their teammates ... and all this without screaming or posturing.

Turn the thought process around and think about those who think that professing their faith means screaming and posturing. I know you know one (or two or more). Just because I disagree with their method of delivery doesn't mean they are wrong. I just happen to believe that my faith shines more by the person that I am than by me screaming my views at the top of my lungs. If I can live in such a way that someone comes to know and believe in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, then I'm doing ok. God knows me. It is up to me to make sure that others see Him in me.

Another football season is winding to a close, the holidays are fast approaching and the start of another new year is just a few short weeks away. The awards are being given, careers are winding down for some, and new lives will be beginning. Forget the trophies: if you don't have Jesus, what do you have?

Jesus, I thank you for the many blessings I continue to receive. May I in turn share those blessings each and every day. Help me continue to live for you, in every way.

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."~ 1 Peter 4:11 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment