I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

02 January 2011

Pay It Forward

One of my friends recently posted a "pay it forward" challenge as her facebook status. For the first 5 people who commented and promised to pay it forward by sending something homemade to the first 5 people who commented on their status ... why does this sound so much more complicated when I try to explain it?!?!?

Here is the original post:
Pay it Forward 2011: I promise to send something handmade to the first 5 people who leave a comment here. They must in turn post this and send something they make to the first 5 people who comment on their status. The rules are that it must be handmade by you and it must be sent to your 5 people sometime in 2011....

In just under an hour, this wonderful idea has blossomed, and makes me think of a way to take it even further. What if we decided each day, to do something for someone who may never know what we have done. Before you think I'm talking spending hundreds or thousands of dollars (which I do not have), I'm thinking simply here. Next time you are at a restaurant, spend a few extra dollars on a meal for someone seated alone. You don't have to tell them, just ask your waitress. Too much? Buy an extra newspaper and give it away. Bake cookies for your next door neighbor. Smile at the next person you pass in the hallway. Do you see where this could snowball into a sea of positivity?

I'm not naive enough to think that everyone, myself included, can do this each day. Taking one day at a time, however, this is quite realistic. For example, tomorrow, I will make an effort to keep a positive attitude toward everyone I meet. How will that affect others? First of all, they do not have to put up with yet another grouch. Second? When you see someone smile, how often do you not smile in return? If I have something that I can share, I will. In sharing we are giving.

I have decided that 2011 will be my year of positive thinking. Life is far too short to be unhappy. By giving Jesus control, I have already made a positive change in my life. By following through and letting Him shine through me, it radiates out to encompass those around me. Will you join me on this journey for change?

God, please guide me in my quest to glorify you. Give me the words to say, one day at a time.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."~Matthew 5:16 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment