I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 January 2010

The Reason

Do you ever wish you could change the radio station in your head? You know the one I mean ... the one that just arbitrarily plays bits and pieces of songs until you have to find the music and listen to it on an external component (in my case, it's usually the computer). Today's tune? "The Reason," the 2004 hit by the California grunge band Hoobastank.


While grunge is not the type of music that I ordinarily listen to, this particular song struck a chord from the first time I heard it. Written by lead singer Doug Robb, "The Reason" climbed the US charts to peak at #1 on the Top 40 charts, and at #2 on the Hot 100. The song is probably most famous for its airplay on the final episode of "Friends."


Why does this song stick in my head? I don't know what Doug Robb was writing about, but "The Reason" has been referred to as an "anthem for change." Look at the words and decide for yourself:
I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
And the reason is you

What comes to mind? A relationship that has suffered? For me, it speaks volumes about my relationship with Jesus. He knows, of course, that I'm not a perfect person. He doesn't expect me to be. What does he expect? That I do the very best that I can. But you know what? The more I learn, both about myself and about Jesus, I realize that there have been many times in my life when I have disappointed him. What makes me want to change that? To change who I am? He does. Jesus is the reason to start over.
The apology of the next verse is especially true for me. For those that I have hurt, I'm sorry doesn't seem to be enough. I'm sorry, too, for disappointing God.

I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with every day
and all the pain I put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
and be the one who catches all your tears
that's why I need you to hear
(repeat chorus)

Music is a powerful tool. Interpretation is largely left up to the listener, and for ten people, a song will probably have ten different meanings. Doug Robb's song may not have been written as a tribute to Jesus, but that's the interpretation that works for me. Those are the words laying on my heart.

Jesus, I'm sorry is a pitiful phrase to offer for the mistakes that I've made. Fortunately, you have blessed me continually, absorbing the hurt and standing strong beside me even when I chose not to notice your presence. I pray that you continue to guide me, and to keep my eyes open.

"...'What was your reason for doing this?'"~Genesis 20:10 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment