I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Open Up to Forgiveness

We hear it often, we've said the words. The preacher has spoken on the subject often throughout your lifetime. What does it really mean to forgive? (written 21 Nov 07)

A month or so ago, I began receiving daily devotions from Dr. David Jeremiah. Titled "Turning Point with David Jeremiah," they always have a thought provoking theme. Today's topic was forgiveness, and he said something that made me stop and think. Dive back in your mind and see if you can pull up a time that you felt wronged. Do you still remember it clearly? I bet you can. I would venture to say most of us can. I know for certain that I have some of those memories ... wrongs done to me that are just as clear today as they were when they happened.

What Dr. Jeremiah says is that if we can do that, we have not truly forgiven. That stopped me in my tracks. It was more than the proverbial light coming on, it was like standing in the glare of a spotlight. If I have not forgiven, I cannot forget, because I have not freed that wrong. To forgive means to loosen the grip that hurt has on you and vanquish its power. Once you have truly forgiven, the hurt will go away. That was so freeing to me - but made me realize that I have some soul searching to do. I cannot forgive of that depth without God's help. I am strong enough to admit my weakness in that area, and I need Him to be my strength.

By allowing God to have control, by relinquishing our worries to Him, we free ourselves. Isn't that an amazing concept? No longer will that hurt, that anger, that feeling of worthlessness be how I view myself. Because I have asked God to show me how to forgive, to help me forgive, I am free of that pain.

God, thank you for the unwavering love and support you give me. Thank you for showing me the way to forgive, and help me when I stumble. Thank you for showing me that "let go, let God" are words of wisdom that I should follow. May I be a reflection of you in everything I do.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."~Colossians 3:12-13 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment