I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Ask for Help

I am relatively certain that I am not the only person who has ever had the thought "I know how to do this, I don't need help." I am also relatively certain that I am not alone when I realize just how much I do not, in fact, know. Something I heard many years ago has stuck with me, "The truly intelligent person realizes the vast scope of what they do not know," or the translated version "Smart people realize how dumb they are." (written 4 Mar 2008)

Those of us who have children, or know children, know the sometimes overwhelming feeling of being the "answer" person. Remember the joy of your child's first words? Do you also remember when they learned the word "why?" What about the point in time when it seemed as if "why?" was the only word they knew? Younger children do not always understand, but as they grow older they realize that sometimes adults do not have all the answers.

When you become comfortable with the fact that you don't have all the answers, you grow. The ability to call on someone for help is a part of personal growth. It's not necessary to have all the answers, but knowing where to find the answers is a big step forward! Asking for help can be difficult. It is in some ways a control issue, you have to recognize and admit that you cannot do it alone. There are many times in our lives when we struggle mightily, yet make no progress. Just as reading the directions can make it easier to put that piece of equipment together, asking for help can smooth a pathway previously riddled with potholes.

Remember that you always have "on-line" help, 24/7/365. Jesus stands waiting and ready to assist you, whatever your needs may be. Just because you are the "go-to" person for answers doesn't mean you don't have questions of your own. Don't struggle, let go and let God.!

God, thank you for being my answer. May I always remember to ask!


"Moses said to the LORD, 'O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.' The LORD said to him, 'Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.'" ~Exodus 4:10-12 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment