I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Under Construction

We all know the colors, the signs, the sometimes sinking feeling ... you're headed to church/work/school/play and seemingly from nowhere appears the lovely orange and white cone or barricade that tells you a new route is on your agenda for today. If you are running late, the sinking feeling that accompanies that rapid flash of knowledge immediately starts the calculator in your brain working and making you wonder if you have enough time to make it. (written 7 Apr 08)

If you've done any traveling in Dothan lately that takes you in the vicinity of north Denton road (from the five point intersection at the Chevron up to LoLo's Mini Mart), you know that there is a major overhaul underway. The road destruction currently underway certainly makes life interesting for those residents whose addresses fall within that short span. I say destruction, because that is certainly what is happening at this point! The asphalt is no more, and the recent rains have made the journey more of a miry clay than a roadway. Upon completion, that section of Denton is supposed to be curbed, and I'm not sure what else is going on, I just know that it is sometimes interesting avoiding the heavy equipment in my little car!

Our lives can in many ways be compared to highway construction, or construction in general. Is that not, in effect, what we are doing? Each day that we wake up and join the human race, so to speak, we make decisions that affect not only us but those around us. The simplest of decisions, such as how to answer a question or what comment to make, can change the life of someone else without our ever even knowing.

There have been many stages in my life. My life now is changed, I feel for the better, because of an attitude shift. I'm sure that there is some proper psychological term for it (paradigm shift, maybe?) but attitude works for me. By changing my outlook, my life changed. When I looked at life as Eeyore does (oh, woe is me), it seemed that my life followed that track. It felt as if nothing could or would go right. I decided to base my attitude on the attitude that my granddaddy carried with him for his whole life ... or at least as much of his life as I remember ... he was always positive. He saw the good in any situation. Until he was in the last months of his life fighting the rapidly invading cancer, he always told you that he felt "good!" or wonderful!" I have adopted that. Why?

Long story short, we all have troubles and problems. Focusing and dwelling on those problems does not make you feel any better, and in many cases, can make you feel worse. Why adopt the woeful attitude of Eeyore? Every time I start to think about the things that I think are bad in my life, I stop and remind myself just exactly how much I have to be thankful for. Compare what you have with what you could be experiencing, and realize just how blessed you are. Do I have great wealth? No, but I have a job, and am increasing my education in order to give me the opportunity to earn more. Do I have a fancy car? No, but the car I have runs well, and gets me where I need to go. It is also economical ... and with today's gas prices, that is a major plus! I have a roof over my head, family and friends that love me just as I am, my health ... the list can go on and on. Why be negative? I have far more to be thankful for than I have to complain about. Taking a hard look at my life and realizing that I needed to do some construction work has been a blessing.

God, I thank you for being my project manager on this ongoing construction project. May I never forget that my guidance comes from you, and that you have the master blueprint. Help me to be a "guiding cone" for others who may need to consider some re-construction of their own, by being a source of strength and support.

"But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." ~Jude 1:20-23 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment