I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Standing on the Promises

Remember the hymn "Standing on the Promises?" It was written by R. Kelso Carter in 1886. Why does Dr. Carter stand out in my mind? Well, the words of his song, for one thing. And no, that's not a typo, Dr. Carter began his career as an educator, teaching chemistry, engineering, and mathematics at the Pennsylvania Military Academy. He was ordained as a minister in 1887, and finished his career as a physician. What an accomplished life! (written 26 Feb 08)

Think about what those lyrics mean, "standing on the promises." We are trusting that Jesus will not fail us, that we have a solid base to stand upon. And we do. As you may know by now, I like to analyze song lyrics. A quote I read some time ago (unfortunately I cannot remember who said it!) said that "song lyrics mean whatever the person hearing them thinks they mean." That makes sense, I guess. My translation or interpretation may be far different from yours ... that does not make either of us wrong. Sharing viewpoints may give both of us a deeper understanding. Anyway, back to the lyrics.

The second verse says:
Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.

Because we believe what God promised, there is no storm that we cannot weather. We have faith in His ability to bring us through the trials we may face in our life. I believe, and I shall win, because I have God on my side. Note that it does not say that we will never have trials or tribulations, only that we shall prevail (win).

The final verse reminds us that we need to heed God's voice. Remember, He doesn't always shout. Sometimes, He whispers. What was that phrase mama said? You have two ears and one mouth, you should listen twice as much as you talk. (I'm relatively certain that mama still thinks that.)

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit's call,
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.
Listen, trust, believe. You will achieve.

God, I thank you for the promises that keep me secure and upright. I thank you for the whispers, and for bopping me on the head with the shouts when needed. Teach me to open my ears and hear the whispers more clearly.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." ~Hebrews 10:23 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment