I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Finding Time

We all know the feeling - in this day and age it seems as if everything we are involved with operates in fast-forward mode. You hit the snooze button and get that extra 9 minutes to spend the rest of your day rushing from place to place. It seems as if everything is constantly go-go-go and when you finally stop, it feels as if you are falling apart piece by piece. How do you slow down the merry-go-round? (written 1 Apr 2008)

I freely admit that I am probably one of the worst to stay almost constantly in "go" mode. Why? I'm still trying to figure that one out. The current schedule of work and school is rigorous, but no more so than hundreds of thousands of people do every day. I am by no means alone! I tell myself that this is simply a means to an end ... I am doing what I am doing right now in order to achieve the long-term goals that I have set for myself. School is temporary. Work, unfortunately, is not - at least not so far as I can see. How, then, do I reconcile my schedule?

Making time for myself is something I decided I needed to do. Whether it be a few minutes reading a book that is not school related, or sitting down in front of the television to watch (or attempt to watch) a movie, I try every day to carve out a precious few minutes of time that I can call my own. Writing these devotions is a few minutes of my day that have been sorely neglected the past few weeks, but the words have not come to me as easily as they have in the past. Today, the inspiration is back, and so I write.

Each of us has our own methods of finding time. How we spend our "me" time varies from person to person. There is not necessarily one right or one wrong way to do so. Ask yourself this question - does what I am doing ultimately benefit someone other than myself? While looking out for the needs of others may not fit what you call fulfillment, I try to help in whatever small way that I can. I have received feedback from you telling me that these devotions fill a need, answer a question, lift a spirit. If I can do that for even one person, then I have accomplished something.

God, I thank you for the gift of words, and for the ability that you have given me to share feelings and thoughts in such a way that it may be of help to someone else. Please allow me to continue to spread the blessing that is you.

"I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ." ~Philemon 1:6 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment