I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

17 March 2009

Preparation

As a first semester nursing student, it seems as if I am constantly studying or reviewing for a test of some type: either a skills check off or an exam. The vast amount of material that needs to be absorbed (and comprehended!) to move on to the next level seems almost overwhelming at times! What is the best way to prepare? (written 15 Oct 2008)

How I prepare has much to do with my personality and my ability to comprehend. The way I study might not work for the next student, and vice versa. At this point, preparation for me consists of reading the chapters, studying the powerpoints, reviewing class notes, and writing definitions. Another important factor in the preparation equation is the feedback that I receive from my study partners. Asking a question of a fellow student may elicit a train of thought that clarifies an uncertain point for you. This give and take works both ways. The importance of study groups is a recurring theme ... with one qualifier: It is VITAL that your study group be focused on learning!

Take this focus and apply it to your life. Are the most important people in your life aware of your goals and willing to help you achieve them? Are they your cheerleaders or are they naysayers? My boyfriend, my family, and close friends are all very supportive of my goal of graduating nursing school. This has been a tremendous help on those days when it all seems a bit overwhelming.

What has been the biggest help of all? Prayer. I ask for it, I offer it, I do it. If you want to simplify it even more, break it down to a college student's favorite things: it's cheap (try free!), it's easy, and IT WORKS! No matter how much I prepare for a test, no matter how certain I am that I know the material ... I NEVER take a test without praying for guidance, and for my classmates. I pray that the information that I've studied can come back out in the right form.

Speaking to preparation leads to one additional question. How are you preparing for the day that you meet Jesus? This is the most important test of all! No preparation in your life can compare to this, and you can 'study' your whole life and still not have the right answer ... if you deny your Lord. Eternity is a real long time ... are you prepared for it? Preparation for eternity is one of the simplest things you can do: ask, believe, receive. If you ask Jesus into your heart and life, believe that He is your savior, and receive Him into your heart ... that's the majority of your preparation!! How easy is that? Another college student favorite? IT'S FREE!! What comes after receiving Jesus? Sharing. Remember when you were a child and learned something new? You couldn't wait to tell (show) everyone what you knew! Treat Jesus that same way ... share Him with that same joy!

Jesus, thank you for the many blessings that you have given me and continue to bless me with. I pray for strength and wisdom, and the ability to continue to voice your praise. Help me be the vessel that assists others to you!

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."~John 14:1-3 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment