I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

17 March 2009

Rekindling the Light

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light." ~Albert Schweitzer

Albert Schweitzer was born in Alsace in 1875, the son of a Lutheran pastor. He was a pastor, a principal in a theological seminary, published author, and university professor with a doctorate in philosophy. At age 30, he decided that was not enough. He felt he had been called to serve others by providing medical care to Africans. Seven years later, he and his wife established a hospital in Lambarene, Gabon. Dr. Schweitzer received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 (for the year 1952) at age 78. Why the history lesson? (written 24 Apr 2008)

Reading email this morning, I opened one from Mac Anderson (www.simpletruths.com) and worked my way back through a couple of messages I'd saved to reread. One of the emails had the quote referenced above, and it just struck me as something that needed to be said today. By using it as my opening quote, I felt it only fair to give a brief background on its author for those of you who, like myself, were only vaguely familiar with the name Albert Schweitzer. Now, on with the devotion.

Look back over your life up to this point. Chances are, a name or face comes to mind, someone who affected you in ways that you never thought possible. Was it your kindergarten teacher? A family member or friend? I could name several people that have affected me in a positive way, some so much so that even years later that "defining" moment is just as clear as the day it happened.

If you have accepted Christ as your personal savior, think about the person who may have helped guide you to the understanding to make that decision. There was never a push to accept Christ, nor to attend church, especially as a younger child. It was simply taken for granted that that's what happened on Sundays, and that you would come to the Lord in your own way and in your own time. My grandparents, Woodrow and Joyce Hall, were shining examples of Christianity. It was through their example that I chose to dedicate my life to Jesus more than 30 years ago. Were they perfect? Of course not, no human is. As a child, I certainly thought they were! They were the epitome of that southernism known as "good people."

Seeing the struggles that daddy went through during the last months of his life was another inspiration to me, and one of the big factors in my decision to rededicate my life to Jesus last summer. He never complained, but was at peace. He was at peace with his family, with his future, and most importantly, with his Jesus. Take your inspiration and thrive! Your next step? BE someone's inspiration! It is in giving that we truly receive. Albert Schweitzer said "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve."

Jesus, thank you for deeming me worthy of service. Thank you for the unconditional love that you give to me. Teach me to serve by helping others. Make me the shining example that I was blessed to have so many years ago.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."~1Peter 4:10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment