I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

17 March 2009

My Soul Sings

There are very few places where you can find silence. In the hurry-up world of today, it seems that noise is a constant factor in our lives. It may be something as simple as the hum of the air conditioner, or as complex as the New York Philharmonic in the midst of a performance. My life has been entwined with music for as long as I can remember. I am by no stretch of the imagination a performer, unless you count the numerous concerts I've given to the dishes or to the laundry. (written 13 Oct 2008)

What makes you want to sing? There are those blessed with the ability to bring tears to the eyes of a listener with the beauty of their voice ... Andrea Bocelli comes to mind, my oldest daughter is another. Many years ago in Sunday school, one of my teachers said "God said make a joyful noise ... He didn't say anything about being on key." I'm relatively certain that applies to me.

Making a joyful noise can take many different forms. I love to sing (note aforementioned lack of ability) and I love to listen to music. I love to sit and listen to a performance, whether it be a concert for many or a concert for me. Music is soothing to my soul. It can, however, be turbulent. It can be disturbing, it can be thought provoking, and in some cases even be violent. A quick perusal of the shelves in any music store can give you an almost overwhelming selection to choose from.

When I find music that I like, I tend to play it a lot. The current CD in my player has been there for a few weeks. Cricket Lee's new CD, "I Just Stand", is a source of inspiration to me. I have bounced back and forth between the tracks, and have found yet another favorite. I don't, unfortunately, have the CD case with me right now and cannot tell you who wrote it. Track 11, "I Believe", has become my new anthem.

This beautiful song is up-tempo, joyous, and no matter how many times I listen to it, makes me want to sing along ... every time. What makes you want to sing? Find your voice ... find your song. Praising Jesus pleases Him. Praising Jesus through song also serves as a testimony to others. Find your testimony today!

Just what the word of God has said
I believe
Every inspired page
that's read
oh I believe
Though the builder rejected the stone
This rock I will stand upon
I believe

in Gethsemane
I believe
in Calvary
I believe in the cross, in the blood, in the grave
I believe in the stone rolled away
I believe
in the risen King


Jesus, thank you for giving my soul the gift of song. Thank you for allowing me to express my joy through words and song. Give me the ability to share with others the beauty that you have given to me.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."~Ephesians 1:18-19 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment