I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Direct My Footsteps

In some format or another, we have probably all seen, read, or maybe even own a copy of the poem "Footprints." Searching, I found that although many have claimed credit, and several are apparently well remunerated for it, there is no definitive answer as to who actually authored the poem. (written 5 Mar 2008)

Today, before writing, I went to BibleGateway.com and performed a search. From the verse listed, my thought process went on a tangent of its own, and I found the verse that caught my attention. From that verse, the title and the sidenote regarding "Footprints" were born. Don't you just feel better knowing the convoluted way these devotions come about? Seriously, most days I just sit down with a fragment of an idea, and the words just fall out. God does, indeed, work in mysterious ways.

What does "direct my footsteps" mean to you? In the Christian context, I prefer to think of it as giving control of my life (and the steps I take on my pathway through life) to Jesus. I am walking, but He in me guides my steps along the path. Does that make sense? Look at it from another direction. As a baby learning to walk, your parents or caregivers (or both) held your hand, walked beside you, attempted to keep fairly clear paths for you to navigate, and did not hesitate to praise your successes. Is not walking with Christ much the same? He holds our hands, walks beside us (or carries us), keeps our paths clear or gives us the tools to safely navigate hindrances and praises our success. Jesus is the best GPS available (and He is free for the asking!).

By giving control to Jesus, we open our pathway to a blessed walk. Please note that I did not say, nor do I believe, that it will necessarily be a trouble-free, nor obstacle-free, one. As you walk through life, remember that sometimes you have to stumble and fall to stand freely upright. Jesus is there, holding your hand and guiding your steps. Never hesitate to call upon him.

Jesus, thank you for guiding these sometimes hesitant steps. You truly are the light of my path, and the strength that makes those uphill climbs seem easier. Thank you for giving me the gift of your love. Give me the ability to share that, and to be a support for, others in their walk with you.

"Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me." ~Psalm 119:133 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment