I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

The Enzyme

As a pre-nursing student I am currently, have just recently, and will in the future study science. We refreshed our memories of enzymes in Biology 103, and now in Biology 220 (Microbiology) are learning about enzymes once again. What is an enzyme, and what does it have to do with a devotion? (written 28 Feb 08)

An enzyme is a catalyst. It binds temporarily to one or more of the substrates of the reaction that it catalyzes, lowers the amount of activation energy needed, and speeds up the reaction. The further the enzyme from the substrate, the weaker the bond. For a successful bond, the enzyme must fit the substrate like a key fits a lock. An enzyme is the catalyst for only one chemical reaction and some enzymes also require a cofactor. Guess what? An enzyme is also not changed by the reaction.

Before you think that this will be a scientific devotion, both my biology teachers can attest to the fact that I am far from a scientist! Why did this even come to mind? Look at it this way: Jesus is like an enzyme, and better than an enzyme. Without Him, I have to expend far more energy that I may ever hope to generate to achieve a result that is less than optimal. Turning my life over to Him and trusting in Him and His love allows me to go higher, reach farther, while expending less energy - AND the end result is wonderful!! Unlike an enzyme, He is the catalyst for all who believe in and accept Him. Bonding with Jesus is not a temporary thing, He will be our enzyme forever! Making us complete takes nothing away from Him ... it doesn't change Him at all, it only changes us for the better.

I guess what it breaks down to is this: He can make me so much more than I can ever hope to achieve on my own. By trusting and believing in Him, I work smarter and go farther. The farther I am from Jesus and His love, the weaker our bond. When I envelop His love into my heart and life, I expand my capabilities! Now if I could just bring up that Bio 201 grade ... (study harder, study smarter ...)

Jesus, thank you for being the enzyme that makes my life complete. Help me to become what you would have me to be.

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.'" ~John 6:35 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment