I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

15 March 2009

Comforting Arms

If you were to ask me for one thing that stands out vividly in my memories of childhood, I would have to say hugs. While that may sound strange to some, let me clarify by saying that I was raised in a very affectionate family. We are by no means perfect, nor do we all always like each other, but the love is never in question. Think back to your younger years. For me, daddy or mama, grandmother or granddaddy, could make just about anything feel better with a hug. A hug is arms wrapped around you enveloping you in a feeling of peace. (written 6 Mar 2008)

I hope that I was able to give that same feeling of security to my children, and in turn through my daughter to my granddaughter. No, mom doesn't always have all the answers, nor is she always right, but she will always be there for you! I am blessed to still have my mother. I hope God blesses me with her for many more years. The sense of loss and the gaping hole that daddy's passing left is still there, but I do not doubt that he is still keeping an eye on his babies!

In an earlier devotion, I told the story of my baptism at age 9. I can still remember Preacher Mac's strong arms holding me as he dunked me into that baptismal pool. As he assisted me in giving back to Jesus the life that Jesus first gave me, that strength was a tangible symbol of his willingness to assist others in finding their way home. There are many who do not believe that Jesus exists. I do, and am not ashamed to say so.

I find comfort in knowing that no matter how low I think I have fallen, his strong arms are there to reach down and lift me up, enfold me in his comforting love, and assist me onto my feet once more. Invite Jesus into your life, and feel that comfort for yourself. His arms are wide enough to hold us all, gentle enough to cradle a newborn, and strong enough to never let us fall too far. He is never out of reach.

Jesus, thank you for the strong arms that surround me with your love. Thank you for blessing me with those in my life who will envelop me in love. Remind me that sometimes the best gift of all is the silent gift of love.

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support."~Psalm 18:16-18 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment