I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Absolute Anchor

The song in my soul is silent today; the waves of anxiety crash high around me, threatening at times to overwhelm. I cling to the only life preserver I can truly depend on ... God will not fail me. (written 20 July 07)

When you think of an anchor, what comes to mind? If you're seeing a stylized line drawing similar to a navy insignia (or popeye's tattoo), you are probably not alone. The word, as a general rule, makes me think of that heavy thing you throw over the side of the boat to pretty much keep it from moving. Before I get blasted by all you sailors, I know that you don't technically "throw" the anchor overboard ... but that is not the purpose of this story. Dictionary.com (isn't it great? you don't even have to get up!) has many definitions (14, I think), but the first one listed is the definition, I would venture to say, that comes to mind when one thinks of "anchor." It says: any of various devices dropped by a chain, cable, or rope to the bottom of a body of water for preventing or restricting the motion of a vessel or other floating object, typically having broad, hooklike arms that bury themselves in the bottom to provide a firm hold. Here's a surprise: nope, that's not the one I want. How about this one, instead? a person or thing that can be relied on for support, stability, or security; mainstay. Much better!

Here we go again with the "person or thing" .. I'm beginning to think that dictionary.com likes that phrase a lot! No, God is not a "person or thing"! He IS, however, one to be relied on for support, stability, or security. I know, not think but know, that he is unchanging. He is ever strong and there for me, no matter the need. He does not love me less today than tomorrow or yesterday, but loves me unconditionally, always.

God is indeed my anchor, no matter how stormy my life becomes. I have no fear that I will lose Him! He is my lighthouse, my rock. He shines love eternal to guide my paths, and stands strong and ever secure to ground me. Thank you, God, for guaranteeing safe passage through the stormy sea of life!

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." ~Psalm 46:1-3 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment