I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Not Less But Equal

I am a confessed bookhog. I read constantly, and am always looking for something to read. My current is "Healing for a Woman's Emotions" by Paula Sandford. I've not yet finished it, but much as Dr. Don Colbert's book spoke to me recently, so, too, has her work. (written 13 Sep 07)

"Woman is in no way a postscript." With this astounding statement on page 7, Paula Sandford explains why men and women are equal. Not the same, mind you, but equal. We were made the way we were made because God designed us that way. Genesis 2:18 says "And the Lord God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." (KJV) As Sandford explains on page 8, "helpmeet means a power equal to man." EQUAL. Not the same, but definitely not less than.

What is a woman? She was made from the rib of man, near his heart. According to Proverbs 31 (NIV), a woman should be: "A wife of noble character who can find?" (10) It defines many things, and states in verse 28, "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." He praises her. It does not say that he is superior to her, but that he praises her for her accomplishments.

I look forward to reading more of this work. Why? There are times in our lives, more so than others, that we NEED an outside jolt to awaken us. God knows what we need, and when we need it. By awakening me to explore more of myself, He is giving me the tools I need to better glorify Him. While I will admit that there have been times in the past that I have not necessarily been happy with my femininity, I stand proud today. I AM WOMAN and that is good. God made me FEMALE because that is who He needed me to be.

I am secondary to no man. I am woman because God needs us both, male and female. In my future, there is a partner for me, a male to whom I can and will be "an help meet." God designed it that way. Having a husband does not lessen me as a woman, but strengthens me, just as having a wife strengthens a man.

God, thank you for allowing me to see that being a woman does not make me less of a person. I should and shall stand proud of who I am, your creation. I am supportive, but fully capable of standing alone. You have given me strengths that are mine, just as you give men strengths that are theirs. Allow me to develop those strengths while never forgetting that I am who I am. Your child, your creation. Thank you for blessing me with life.

"... to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."~Ephesians 4:23-24 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment