I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Thanks for Plenty

Today was our departmental Thanksgiving luncheon. It was a chance to fellowship with coworkers we may talk to but don't see on a regular basis, discuss plans for the holidays, and of course, enjoy some excellent food. We definitely have some great cooks in our department!! This gathering reminded me of how truly blessed we are to live in the land of the free. (written 16 Nov 07)

It's that time of year again, and it is hard to believe that 2007 is winding to a close. So much has changed in the past twelve months! This time last year, I was anxiously awaiting my upcoming trip to Germany and the birth of my granddaughter (although not quite as anxiously as Nikki, I'm sure). The year has been a full one, and there are good things still yet to come. School ends in a few weeks, finals are looming. Two of my three children will be home over the holiday period, but Danielle will be the only one here for Christmas. Creighton comes in a few days after Christmas, and it looks like Nik and Sami won't be able to come this holiday season.

As we make our plans for the upcoming holidays, let's remind ourselves that there are those who may not be as fortunate. Living in the land of plenty, it is often easy to forget those who may be silently struggling beside us. As a department we have chosen a family to remember during Christmas, and I hope that we are each able to contribute something. WalMart and other area stores are collecting non-perishables for the food bank - next time you visit a store that has a contribution bin, pick up a few extra cans to donate if it is possible for you to do so.

We all love to receive gifts, but I think that it is in giving that we receive the best gift of all. Gifts do not have to be monetary. A simple gift of your time can work wonders for someone who may have difficulty getting around. Send a card to let someone know you are thinking of them. A quick phone call can pick up a drooping spirit. Find ways to give of yourself, and see what you receive in return. It just feels good!

Jesus, thank you for the many blessings you have given me. Show me how to give as you give, freely and without condition. May I be a blessing in someone's life the way I have been blessed. Clear my eyes so that I see as you would have me see, and help me to meet the needs of others. Thank you for the land of plenty that I call home.

"Be joyful always; pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."~1Thessalonians 5:16-19 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment