I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

One Day At A Time

In 1980, Marijohn Wilkin and Kris Kristofferson wrote a song titled "One Day At A Time." It was recorded by Cristy Lane, and was one of my stepfather's favorite songs. Thinking of today's devotion, the words to the chorus popped into my head ... and so it begins. (written 17 Sep 07)

One day at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking of you.Teach me today, to do all the things that I have to do.Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine.Lord, for my sake, teach me to take, one day at a time.

Since I am neither Marijohn Wilkin nor Kris Kristofferson, I cannot begin to know what they were thinking when they penned these words. What do their words mean to me? A realization that planning for my future must include God for any hope of success. One day at a time, God will guide me where I need to go, if I but ask for direction, and have faith in Him.

The chorus asks Jesus just for one day. Not a lifetime, not a miraculous zip back into the past to change wrongs already done. One day. Teach me! Be with me today, and let me work through today with your help. Jesus is always there for us. We know not what tomorrow holds for us, only God does. We cannot undo yesterday, so we should not waste valuable time worrying over something we cannot change (I know, easier said than done). If we put our faith and trust in God, each day will be like a new beginning. As we learn to depend on His guidance, every day will be a growth opportunity. With God as your pilot and navigator, how can you be steered wrong?

Every step we make in the right direction, the direction that God has planned for us, is a step of strength. Asking Him for help on that journey is what He wants. God wants us to rely on Him, to know without doubt that He will never fail us. He does not expect us to be able to do things that He has not yet prepared us for. One day at a time! Each day is given us so that we may grow with Him. If we take each day as it comes, ask God and rely on His wisdom to guide us, our journey will become more specific. I wish I knew who wrote the phrase "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it." On our journey, there will be times when we question God. "Can I do this?" "How can I do this?" I cannot. With God, I can.

God, thank you for your love and support. For being there for me, guiding me, and showing me where you want me to be. I know that every day with you will be a learning experience, as you teach me what I need to know. Though my journey may be at times frustrating, I need to remember the words that Ira Stanphill wrote: "I don't worry o'er the future, for I know what Jesus said, and today I'll walk beside Him, for He knows what is ahead." One day at a time, Lord.

"... I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." ~Matthew 17:20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment