I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

No More Garbage Trucks

Today I received an email from a friend about the "Law of the Garbage Trucks." Intrigued by the title, I had to read on and find out what this meant. Imagine my surprise at what was revealed! Let me summarize the tale for you: (written 12 Oct 07)

Some people are like garbage trucks. They are filled with anger, bitterness, disappointment, or dissatisfaction (i.e. garbage). When they get full, they look for a place to dump. Once they have dumped, they fill themselves with more of the same. It can be a vicious cycle! When someone wants to dump their garbage on you, refuse it! How?

Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:39 "... If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." (NIV) I don't think the scripture means that we should encourage violence, rather it tells us that by presenting ourselves as standing fast in our belief, in our happiness, that we won't fall prey to the "garbage" that some wish to dump on us!

The tale says to smile, wave, and move on! Don't let the garbage find a place to rest! It is difficult to do at times, and in some cases, may be some of the hardest things we ever do. How DO we turn the other cheek? How do we smile, wave, and move on when it seems the thing in our best interest would be to curl up in a hole somewhere until the pain goes away?

Remember that Jesus never told us living for Him would be easy ... but that He would always be there for us. We don't have to let naysayers rain on our joy! We have the most intricate, most highly developed, yet simplest support system ever dreamed of. His name is Jesus, and He is with us always. All we have to do is ask, and believe. Jesus does not want our lives to be filled with dreariness! Don't let the unhappiness of others bring you down to their level! Refuse the garbage!

Jesus, thank you for teaching me how to smile and wave at the garbage. Thank you for showing me how to trust in you, and in your power to set me free. Help me to turn away the garbage, and open my heart to joy.

"Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, LORD, is in you." ~Psalm 25:20-21 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment