I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Be Encouraged

Think back to a time when you were hesitant about something. Does it take you back to childhood, and parents or an older sibling teaching you to read, ride your bike or roller skate? Maybe you wondered about continuing your education, changing jobs or just how you would make it through the day. What was it that brought you through? How do you lend yourself to someone who needs a little extra boost? (written 14 Nov 07)

In the mid-90's, we lived on Fort Stewart, Georgia. My children were young, and excited about learning to skate. No more clunky strap-on skates like I had as a child, they were the proud owners of sleek in-line skates and were planning to zip along the sidewalks with daddy. None of the three had skated before, so overprotective mommy made sure they were all equipped with knee and elbow pads and helmets. We were all talking about skating on the way home, and Creighton was chattering on about how he was going to zip up and down the hall (mom and dad's idea - we had hardwood floors) to learn, then hit the sidewalks and streets. What happened? Well, that's exactly what he did! He had convinced himself that it would be just that easy, and for him, it was.

Encouragement means something different to each of us. I am not referring to the dictionary definition, but what we each need to keep us going. A few months ago I was deciding whether or not I was ready to start back to school. Kristyn's encouragement was a big factor in my decision. She kept telling me that I could do it, and that we were going to do this together. It helped!

Did you know that God offers us encouragement as well? In Hebrews 3:13 (NIV), we are told "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." What an amazing idea - encourage each other! A note, a kind word, a quick phone call - there are many ways that we can boost one another. What type of encouragement works best for you? Don't think that you have to be a constant cheerleader. For some people, myself included, that type of encouragement doesn't always work. A simple "good job" or even a simple "thank you" goes a LONG way for me.

When you are having that moment and need encouragement, ask Jesus. It may not always be immediately obvious, but He WILL respond. Another thing you can do? Encourage someone else! Seeing their response is its own form of encouragement.

Jesus, thank you for the encouragement that you give me every day. Teach me to encourage others as you have encouraged me. Help me to guide others to You.

"so that by God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed."~Romans 15:32 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment