I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Baby Steps

As infants, we are carried for the first several months of our lives. Until we learn to "carry ourselves" by walking on our own, help is required to get where we need or want to go. As with any new task we undertake, walking requires us to take some "baby steps" in the learning process. We may have learned to move ourselves by crawling, by using a walker, by holding someone's hand, or a combination of all three. (written 16 Oct 07)

My granddaughter Samantha is starting to walk. She has strengthened her legs by using both the jumper and her walker for several months. Discovering her ability to move has allowed her to rapidly expand her world. Soon, the newborn that I held just a few days ago (it seems!) will be toddling along under her own steam, no walker required. Like all babies learning the skill of walking, Sami has fallen a time or two. When she falls, mommy (or Honey) is right there to pick her up and comfort her. This loving support encourages her to try again!

As new believers, we are also learning to walk. We are not learning to walk in the way that an infant learns to walk, but rather learning to walk with Jesus. The pathways of our lives may or may not change. Our direction, however, will change. Instead of walking a worldly walk, we are walking with our savior. Jesus knows that we are learning. Just as parents show patience with babies, Jesus shows patience with us as we learn the new steps that we are taking. He is beside us every step of the way.

You are never too old to learn to walk. Jesus is waiting for you, waiting with open arms. When you call upon Him, He will be there to give you loving support as you start taking your own baby steps. You will encounter difficulties at times; obstacles may be put in your path. Never fear, Jesus is right there with you every step of the way.

Jesus, I thank you every day for being by my side on this journey. I have stumbled, but your strong arms lift me and offer encouragement. Your faith in me and my ability drives me forward with a great sense of strength. I pray for your continued guidance as I grow in you. Shine your light upon my path always.

"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble." ~Proverbs 4:18-19 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment