I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Amazing ...

Although I am one of three children, I am the only ME there is. Regardless of how many children my parents had after my birth, there would never be another. Still think that's not miraculous? Well, put the science into it! (written 24 Oct 07)

Humans are rather amazing creations. I use the word creations because I think that is exactly what we are. Because of my beliefs, I think that we are indeed each "gifts from God." Scientifically speaking? When the chromosomes of a mother (23 per egg) fuse with the chromosomes of a father (23 per sperm) in fertilization, the formation of a new human being (46 chromosomes) has begun. Still don't think that's worthy of a second thought? Look at it this way: The possible chromosome combinations are 5 octillion!! The actual number in the textbook reads "4,951,760,200,000,000,000,000,000,000 genetically different zygotes are possible for every couple." (Sylvia Mader, Biology 9th edition, 170) Out of those possibilities, YOU were born!!

As a general rule, when teaching adults, you need to remember one very important thing: your student looks at each class with the attitude of WIIFM. What's In It For Me? Biology 103 is but the first step in my science requirements for my degree in nursing. I have to learn this information and pass this class or I can't progress. How do I retain the massive amounts of information? I simplify. It might not work for everyone, but it certainly has for me thus far. What does cell devision and reproduction have to do with God? Well, from my point of view, everything. He made us all! What the chapter I am learning now tells me is that He also made every one of us unique. There will never be another me!

What point of learning do I take from that? He made me "ME" for a specific reason. Denise is here because God has a plan for her life. I feel that expressing my faith and sharing it is a part of that plan that He has only recently begun to show me. As I grow and develop, He will open up doors that guide me further down the path He designed me to take.

God, thank you for the miracle that is conception and the miracle that is life. May I never cease to be amazed at the wonders you have created, and may my life be a reflection of you. May I always praise you!

"But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever." ~Psalm 52:8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment