I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

GOOGLE Me

Have a question? GOOGLE it! GOOGLE has become the new decade's replacement for your mom's standard answer of "look it up." No longer do we "look it up," we "Google" it. In seconds (depending on the speed of your internet connection and your computer), we have a variety of answers. Didn't find what you were looking for? Rephrase it. Odds are that Google has the answer in some format. (written 10 Oct 07)

Today I received an email through work that stated Google has a new feature. If you type in your phone number (334-555-1212) in the Google search bar, it lists the name and address of the account holder with the phone company. I clicked on it, and was shown a map to my house!! That's just a little too much information, in my opinion. Fortunately, there is an option to remove your number from the listing. Take note .. our home phone was disconnected about 2 months ago, and it is STILL listed. This bothers me, for more than one reason!

When Google was started by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, I wonder if they had any idea how much it would infiltrate our society. Did you know that if you "google" Jesus, you return approximately 148 million (yes, million) responses. Obviously, I haven't had time to check them all out! Google "God", and you get approximately 425 million! Amazing, isn't it?

I decided to take the more direct approach, one that doesn't require a computer, internet access, a telephone, or cable. It can be done anywhere, anytime, anyplace. I don't "google" God, I just talk to Him. It's an incredibly simple thing called prayer, and it works! When I need an answer, I've even been provided with a hard-copy reference manual ... it is called "The Bible."

God, thank you for allowing us the experience of technology. Thank you for showing us that you are always present, regardless of our technological expertise. The youngest child, to the oldest adult can call on you, no technology required. May we never become so advanced that we forget from whence we came.

"Forever , O LORD, your word stands firm in heaven."~Psalm 119:89 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment