I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Lean On Me

The song "Lean on Me" was released as a club remix by Club Nouveau in the late 80s. The bouncy upbeat tune brought a new generation of listeners to some very thought provoking words. Have you thought about the fact that Jesus said similar words many years ago? (written 9 Nov 07)

The song begins "Sometimes in our life, we all have pain, we all have sorrow, but if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow." Think about this: Jesus never guaranteed that we would have pain-free days, nor did He promise that we would not experience sorrow. He did, however, promise that all these would be only temporary. He also promised that He would be with us always. He tells us through Paul in Colossians 2:5 KJV "For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ."

The song goes on to the chorus "Lean on me, when you're not strong, I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on." Jesus invites us to lean on Him, always. In Matthew 11:28-30 KJV, Jesus gives us this promise "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me: for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." How beautiful are those words! I will give you rest. He asks us to come to Him and He will give us rest!

I still cannot explain the peace in my heart in a way that I feel it deserves. He HAS given me rest, even though I may feel at times that my physical self disagrees. The peace in my soul He bought and paid for with His life is mine simply because I asked and believed.

Jesus, I thank you for the gift of life, and the blessed relief of peace. You are the reason I am able to go on. Help me to always be what you would have me to be.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases: Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;"~Psalm 103:1-4 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment