I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

No Static At All

Remember when TV stations weren't on 24 hours a day? Remember when the radio stations "signed off"? No more shows to watch, no music to hear, just static. What is static? (written 14 July 07)

As with almost anything these days, there is, of course, more than one definition of static. The particular use of the word I have in mind is best explained by the following: Interference or noise in a signal as in the unwanted disturbance in a radio signal. Why does this come to mind and what does it have to do with a devotional?

Tonight as I sat down to write, I turned the radio to my favorite Saturday night station. WOAB 104.9 in Ozark broadcasts Saturday Night Jukebox with Allen Skipper from 6 pm until 11 pm, playing favorite oldies from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Back to my tale. Tonight, all I am receiving is static. There are a couple of stations near the same frequency that sometimes override WOAB, but tonight I could pick up nothing at all. I even called the station to find out if they were indeed off the air, or if it was just me! "Yes, we are, and they're working on the problem."

We are experiencing some weather right now, thunder and lightning. No rain as of yet. This may indeed be part of my problem ... radio-wise. How do we eliminate the static when God is broadcasting? Are we just not tuned in to the correct frequency? When we pray, are we letting God talk, too? I need to remember that prayer is not "wish list" time, but reflection time. Am I hearing what God is saying to me? Or am I too busy telling him what I need from Him? His broadcast is not affected by weather of any kind ... unless it is the stormy heart and soul to which He speaks. Could God "make" you listen? Of course. He can do anything! That is not what He wants, however. He wants your service to be your choice .. your wish .. your desire.

I was not yet born when JFK was elected president, but I have seen, heard, and read his inauguration speech many times. We could rephrase that a little, and apply it to ourselves in our daily walk with God: "Ask not what your God can do for you, ask what you can do for your God!!" As I learn daily to strengthen my faith and my belief, I must remember that with God all things are possible ... and that to Him, I am not just another of His children, but I am unique. It is up to me to apply that uniqueness to the direction God has chosen for me. To find that direction, I must learn to filter out the static and tune in God's broadcast "loud and clear."

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity." ~Jeremiah 29:11-14 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment