I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Money In The Bank

How do you know when a phase of your life is coming to an end? I am not referring to those things that have known ends such as college (graduation), but rather those that may have a more uncertain status. When is it right to leave that job or end that relationship?
Many different stones make up the pathways that are our lives. For some, the stones fall into place early. For others (and I include myself in this category), the stones that fall are sometimes the right stones at the wrong times. When analyzing your pathway, how do you decide whether or not to rearrange the stones? (written 1 Oct 07)


The circumstances leading up to my job change last summer were many and varied, but it ultimately boiled down to one hard fact. I no longer enjoyed the job I was doing. I kept it, and kept at it, primarily for the money. Every day the alarm rang, I woke with a sense of dread. The only thing I looked forward to was my next day off. When that phase of my life ended, the relief was both physical and emotional. When the job hunt began, I initially looked for work in the field I had just left. It did not take but one serious interview and some discussions of the job to realize that I no longer desired that type of work. My heart was not in it, and I knew without a doubt that I could not give what it required. The drive and desire was not there!

Ending a relationship can be much like leaving a job. I don't intend to trivialize it by any means, but if you are at the point of deciding whether or not to end a relationship, you have to consider something very important. Think of that relationship as a bank. Any relationship you have with another human being is made up of give and take. The intensity of the give and take depends on the relationship. Give and take between friends can be as deeply meaningful as the give and take between spouses or significant others, just in a different fashion. Is the relationship good for you? I refer to mentally and emotionally. When you look at the bank of your relationship, are your deposits (what you are given) and withdrawals (what you give/what they take) fairly equal? If not, you need to do some soul searching and find out if this is the bank you need. If your relationship does not give back to you at least the same amount that you withdraw (by giving to the other person), you will soon find yourself depleted. If what he or she takes from you (what you give them) does not equal what they give to you in return, there will come a time when your heart and mind will be drained. To put it in financial terms: if you keep taking money out without putting any in, you will at some point be overdrawn! Checks written on an empty account are not valid negotiable instruments!

When we enter into a relationship with Jesus, it can sometimes seem as if we do all the taking. What He gives to us seems immeasurable. How can we match that? What He expects us to give is not what He gives, but rather how He gives. If we give of ourselves freely, we are giving as Jesus would have us do. We need not worry that we give "too much," for there will be no overdraft. The minute that we trust in Jesus and ask Him to take control of our lives, the instant that we believe through Him all things are possible, we have overdraft protection that will never end. We can give and give, because Jesus will constantly give to us. We have to give to keep the well from overflowing!

The day I realized that depletion was looming, I finally realized what I had known all along. I could not do this alone! Attempting to manage my life without God's help had me on the fast track to overdraft city. Once I turned my life over to the Bank of Jesus, my fears were eased. Deposits would be forthcoming regularly, I need no longer be afraid of emptiness.
God, thank you for depositing your love within my heart. Thank you for allowing me to draw on that deposit without ever depleting the balance. Thank you for allowing me to carry it forward by sharing your love with others. May I never fear withdrawal again, for you are letting me give freely!

"For this reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."~2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment