I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

31 January 2009

The Lord's Prayer

It probably depends on where you attend (or attended) church, your Sunday school teacher, or even your parents and/or grandparents, but I would be willing to bet that there is a very large percentage of us that can recite "The Lord's Prayer" (aka Psalm 23) at least in part. What does that mean to you and I? (written 29 Jan 2008)

Let's break it down into parts. Isn't that the easiest way to learn anything? As most of you know by now, I usually use the New International Version for my bible verses. I am a traditionalist, however, and was raised on the King James Version. I loaded both versions, NIV and KJV, side by side to compare. The word changes are minimal, but for me, it speaks louder in the traditional language of the KJV. Now that I've walked around the block to go next door, let's get started.

The first three verses read "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." What is this saying? This is the Denise translation: By accepting God as my savior, I will no longer need anything that He cannot provide for me. He encourages me to rest my soul in the beauty of His creation, because doing so will renew my strength and purpose for Him. He will lead me down the path I should take, walking beside me all the time.

Verse four is probably one of the most misquoted of this short Psalm. I have seen translations from profound to profane. KJV states "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." My translation? There are times and places in my life that I will go where the only thing that can protect me is the loving grace of God. I may have some apprehension, but I will not be afraid, because I will not be alone. God will be with me every step of the way, good times and bad times.

Verse five and six read "Thou preparest a table for me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." Regardless of what I face, I can dine on the majesty of God's grace and love. When I accepted Him as my savior, He made me His own and filled my life to overflowing with the guarantee of an eternity spent with Him. If there are times I stumble, He is there to stand me back up and brush me off, setting me on back firmly on His path. His beauty and love are the cloak that wraps around me.

God, I thank you for the beauty of your creation, and the boundless love you give to all your children. Help me each day to grow in the understanding of your plan for me, and help me trust in your power to make it so.

"Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."~Psalm 25:4-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment