I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

31 January 2009

No Way Out

We've probably all felt this way at one time or another, or if we can't quite admit it to ourselves, we can certainly recall someone who has. You feel as if the walls are closing in on you in a trap that just might be of your own making. It seems the walls are smooth, even damp in places - whatever it takes to make them impossible to scale. The light is above, trickling down into your darkest recesses, but the edge you need to grasp to pull yourself out is just out of reach, and there is nothing to stand on, no support system to get you out of this place. (written 24 Jan 2008)

I forwarded an email just the other day that said "faith looks up." When you are looking at impassable barriers, unscalable walls, and feeling utterly alone, remember those three words. Faith looks up. Why? Remember the definition of faith? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, a belief in things not seen. Just because I can't "see" God doesn't mean He does not exist. He exists to me and for me, for each of us.

I've been down the road of pain and suffering, and I know for a fact that we all have in some way and at some point in our lives. There were and are far too many grooves, footprints, and smooth sections in the sometimes painful road we call life for me to have hurt alone. I have so much to learn, so much I want to know about God and the miraculous things He does for us every day - but one thing I know without doubt is that He is here with me, every single step of the way. Don't misunderstand me: I know this, I believe this, but there are still unanswered questions in my mind and heart! God does not yet believe I need those particular answers, He has a plan for guiding me to them that I must follow. When you don't know for sure, you have to step out on faith. God will not let you fall. You may stumble, but rest assured that the best support system ever is yours just by reaching out your hand to Him.

By looking up with that faith, I am putting my trust in God to guide me in the direction that He wants me to go. I may not know why for many miles, I may not know quite why for years - but He does. When you feel like there is no way out, like everything is closing in, like you are drowning even though you think you can swim - remember to have faith, and to look up. You have friends and family that love you and care about you, but you have the power of our most awesome God at your disposal simply for the asking. Never hesitate to reassure yourself of His presence - reach out and He will be there.

God, thank you for reminding me just how very much I need you. Thank you for your generous gift of love and forgiveness, and for your patience. Help me to be a guiding light for others, to express the joy you have given me.

"During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: 'Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.' 'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.' 'Come,' he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. 'You of little faith,' he said, 'why did you doubt?'" ~Matthew 14:25-31 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment