I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Priorities

What is a priority? Simply put, a priority is whatever you deem important. Dictionary.com defines priority as "highest or higher in importance, rank, privilege, etc." What are your priorities? (written 22 Aug 07)

How many of you have read or heard the speech about "A cup of coffee"? It has been circulating for quite some time, I know that I've received it in several formats, each a little different in the presentation. Basically, it boils down to how you prioritize the things in your life. If you consider your life as a large jar ... fill your jar with the big rocks first (your top priorities ... God, family, church, friends ... whatever they may be). Looks full, doesn't it? Consider the smaller rocks, then shake them slightly and they will settle in the gaps left between the big rocks. What are your smaller rocks? Work, school, fill in your own names here. Full? Not quite. You can still add the sand! Sift it over the top and it flows into the gaps left between the big and smaller rocks. What is your sand? Entertainment, housework or chores, crafts, hobbies, and fishing are a few ideas that come to mind. Now it's really full, isn't it? Nope! Break out those cups of coffee (diet Dr. Pepper, iced tea, your beverage of choice). Pour them into your jar. They soak into the sand!! The purpose behind this exercise? Prioritization.

If you add the sand to the jar first, there will be no room for the rocks of any size. If you add the smaller rocks first, you can fit in the sand, but the big rocks are left out. By putting your big rocks, your main priorities, FIRST in your life, you have the ability to fit in the smaller rocks, the sand, and even time for sharing a beverage with a friend :) When I decided that GOD was going to be the priority in my life, it amazed me how easily all the big rocks, smaller rocks, and sand fell together to make my life complete. Don't think it is just that easy, however. The prioritization of your life is up to you. That is one decision that no one else can make for you. By putting God first, HE showed me how everything else falls into place. Without Him, I couldn't do what I do. I wonder how I did anything before! By believing and trusting in Him, I can do things I would have never considered before.

Are you familiar with the classic hymn "I Surrender All?" I don't at the moment know who wrote the song, but it speaks to me. By making God my priority, by surrendering all, I have freed myself to grow and become what God would have me be. What more can we ask in life? Thank you, God!!

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."~Psalm 18:1-2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment