I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Being Prepared

Today I took my first major test in Biology. What a physical endeavor that was! Not physical in the sense that I had to run or lift weights, but physical in the sense that the apprehension that surrounded me in the hours leading up to the test manifested itself in clammy skin, a 'nervous' stomach, and a major headache! (written 10 Sep 07)

It is said that the first test given by any instructor is generally considered to be the worst. Note that I did not say the hardest, simply the worst. Why? Unless you've had the instructor before, you go into the test if not blind, probably at least vision-impaired! Until that test is lying in front of you, you are unsure of what to expect. It could something as simple as the way the questions are worded, or something as complex as the material you needed to know. Bottom line? Success depends very much on you! A teacher can lead you to the material, can point out what you are most likely to need to know, but can neither make you learn it, nor make you retain it.

In an earlier devotional, I made joking reference to "old people" reading the Bible as "cramming for the final exam." Consider this: Life is a constant exam. No, God is not going to whack our knuckles with the ruler, nor will He put us in the corner. He is not testing us in the sense that every day we must answer all the questions correctly, but giving us the opportunity to learn. The Bible is our textbook. There are those that disagree with the previous statement, I am sure. They, like I, are entitled to their own belief. I think that God gave us the Bible to use as our reference, and as our planner. If we study it, and question (and trust!) our teacher (God IS the master teacher), we will learn what He has in store for us to learn.

Simplistic? Maybe so. What have I learned from this? Study more, and study those things that I need. My instructors are doing the jobs that they do because they have been given the skills to impart the knowledge to us. Our master teacher gives us all of what we are, and the ability to use it. I wish I knew who said this, "Life is God's gift to us. What we make of it is our gift to God."
God, give me the ability to see clearly what I need to see to better glorify you. Help me have the ability to learn more of you, and to share that knowledge with others. May I never be unprepared when it comes to sharing my knowledge of you.

"O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old - what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done." ~Psalm 78:1-4 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment