I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

God's Armor

In 1996, former University of Maryland football player Kevin Plank founded Under Armour. The website states simply "Under Armour's mission is to provide the world with technically advanced products engineered with our superior fabric construction, exclusive moisture management, and proven innovation. Every Under Armour product is doing something for you; it's making you better." That gave rise to a train of thought focusing on God's armor. (written 28 Nov 07)

Today's devotion from Dr. David Jeremiah talked about facing down the devil with the armor of the Lord and referenced Ephesians 6:16 which says "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." (NIV) That made me think. Just how do I prepare myself for facing my day?

Like most people, one of the first things I do after I get up in the morning is jump in the shower and start getting ready for my day. I wouldn't think of getting dressed without putting on deodorant (anti-perspirant, whatever you call it), so why would I start my day without God? Before you wonder what in the world caused such a seemingly extreme leap in logic, let me see if I can explain. When I was little, one of the last things I did before going to bed at night was take a bath. When I was all clean and freshly "jammied up," it was usually off to bed. What else? Before going to bed, every night for years, I said a prayer. It started as most of us did when we were younger "Now I lay me down to sleep ... ." It would end with a variety of things, blessing my grandparents, my parents, or even my dog. I gradually moved from kneeling by the bed to saying my prayers while actually lying in bed (certainly easier on the knees). I don't recall exactly when that stopped.

Today, however, it hit me. Why didn't I pray like that anymore? It's not a "little kid" prayer! It is a simple, heartfelt request to God. You don't have to say those exact words, as a matter of fact, there isn't a set script that you must use. My prayers are more like conversations with God, and yes, I believe He hears me (even what I don't say) and answers me! Allen's devotion a few weeks ago about starting your day with "OJ - Oh Jesus) made a lot of sense. You wouldn't walk out of your house without being dressed and ready, why face the world without "God's armor?" By wrapping yourself in the power of prayer, you stand focused and ready for whatever you may have to face. Praying is not restricted to early morning or late at night, either. Pray whenever you feel the need! Sometimes, I think my day is a constant prayer! God never gets tired of hearing our voice!

Tonight, before I go to bed, I will lift my voice to God in prayer. I ask for His guidance and wisdom, for His help in making in through this world in a way that would be pleasing to Him. Tomorrow morning, part of getting dressed will be putting on God's armor by praying. Won't you join me?

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes ... And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests ... Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."~Ephesians 6:10-11,18-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment