I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Unanswered Questions

Think of a question that may have troubled you that you never got an answer for. Maybe it was answered, but not in such a way that you could have closure. How do you move past that, and move on? (written 28 Sep 07)

When you pray, do you do more talking than listening? I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but one of the churches here in town recently had a sign up that referred to prayer. It said something along the lines of "Prayer is not a wish list." How many times have you said "Dear God, PLEASE ... "? I'm pretty sure we all have at one point or another.

I have found myself recently thinking about the way I pray. Yes, I am indeed guilty of asking God far more than I am listening to Him. The old saying goes that we have one mouth and two ears for a reason ... we are supposed to listen twice as much as we talk! It can be difficult to teach yourself to pray that way, to be receptive to the message that He is giving. Don't get me wrong, I don't for a minute believe that God minds listening to us! I do wonder sometimes if He would like to just tell us to be quiet and listen to Him!

Do you believe, when you pray, that you should get everything you ask God for? Most of us grow out of the egocentric point of view very early in life. It really isn't all about me. God hears every prayer. He doesn't always answer our prayers right away, and many times we find that He may not give us the answer we were hoping for. Garth Brooks, Larry Bastian, and Pat Alger wrote a song that Brooks recorded titled "Unanswered Prayers". Whether or not you prefer the genre, visualize the message that he sends:

Sometimes I thank God,
for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talking to
the man upstairs

Just because He doesn't answer
Doesn't mean He don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts
Are unanswered prayers

Probably some of the best things in my life have happened because God didn't answer my prayers in the way that I (in my infinite wisdom at the time) thought He should have. If I am to serve Him as He wishes, I need to listen! All the questions that I place to Him may not be answered right away. Some of my questions may never be answered at all. If I trust in God to direct my life in the way He would have me go, I must also trust that He knows the answers! When He doesn't answer me right away, or answer me in the way that I want, faith must take over.

In life, we will have unanswered questions. God knows the answers to every question that has been posed, or will ever be posed. He shares with us the answers when we are ready in His eyes for those answers. He hears! He's not ignoring you, but making sure that you are and will be receptive to what He has to say.

God, I have a lot to learn. The more I open my heart to your words and set aside my selfishness, the more I will learn about your plan for me. Thank you for not losing patience, and for believing in me. Thank you for showing me that while I may not understand now, you know what's best for me. Thank you for answering my questions when they need to be answered!

"...be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' So we say with confidence, 'The LORD is my helper, I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?'" ~Hebrews 13:5-6 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment