I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

When God Speaks

Remember those commercials from several years ago for the brokerage firm of E.F. Hutton? The tag line was always "When E.F. Hutton speaks ... people listen." During that time, I was driving along the beach and saw a church sign that said simply, "When God speaks ... E.F. Hutton listens" (written 28 Aug 07)

One of the classes I'm currently enrolled in is Psychology 210. In the first chapter that we're reviewing, the theories of Freud and other eminent psychologists are discussed. To avoid a lengthy psychological theory discussion (which I am by no means qualified to conduct), I will just use the example that my teacher used in class. The id, ego, and superego are compared to the angel on one shoulder, the devil on the other shoulder, with the brain in the middle. We've seen that before, in cartoons, read it in books .. good vs. evil.

When God speaks to us, it may not always seem so clear cut. Have you ever felt that little twinge of anxiety? That unsettled feeling? Heard that "voice" that tells you that you KNOW what's right and what's wrong? Do you think that is God talking to you? I do. While I do not doubt that God speaks to each of us, I know that there are those who do. How do I make that message clear to those who may not believe?

Compare God's message to music, if you will. Alison Krauss sings beautifully in the song "When You Say Nothing At All." This song gives little details of things that she interprets as love, such as a smile, or a touch. Do we, as Christians, not interpret things in much the same way? How do you think a non-believer views you? Better yet, if you have (or know) young children, think of that. How many times have you heard (or said) "Do as I say, not as I do."

What sort of example does that give? I do not at the present time remember who said the following, but it rings true: "Character is what you do when no one's watching." As a Christian, what I do, regardless of who's watching, speaks volumes as to who I am. Am I doing what God is instructing me to do? I want to listen, I MUST listen when God speaks, no matter how he chooses to talk to me. Every day, I must live that way, so others can see God in me ... no matter what I do.

Thank you, God, for speaking to me in all the ways that you do. Allow me to shine your message in every action, thought, and word. Give me the wisdom to hear your voice, and follow you.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~Jeremiah 29:11-14 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment