I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

31 January 2009

Give and Live

The word give can be defined in many ways. The simplest definition I can think of is just passing something on to someone else. We're all probably familiar with the cynical expression "there's no such thing as a free lunch." In reality, most things are NOT free. Think for a moment, if you will, how it makes you feel when someone gives you something - no strings attached. Examples that come to mind: a hug from your child (or a child), a smile, puppy kisses, a helping hand on a slippery step. Think of your day and consider one way that you can give without considering what you might receive in return. I'm not talking financially, but giving because you can and because you want to. (written 14 Feb 2008)

I'll be the first one to admit that I like to receive things. Before you think I am this incredibly materialistic person (not true), let me clarify. One gift I received this Christmas was from my two youngest children, and was a photo of the two of them. They took it upon themselves to go and have their pictures made as a Christmas gift for their dad, step mom, and me. There is no present that they could have given me that would have been more appreciated! My oldest daughter selected a print of herself, her daughter, and her sister taken in Paris and had it blown up into a beautiful print ... and had it delivered with strict instructions not to open until Christmas (I didn't, but it was certainly difficult!). Before you wonder why I get so excited over pictures, understand that my children (much like their mother) would rather be on the opposite side of the camera. They gave these gifts because they knew what it would mean to me. THAT is giving.

I also very much enjoy giving. There is a reward that I cannot describe in being able to do something for someone who doesn't expect it, or feels they don't deserve it, or just because it feels like the right thing to do! Making eye contact and smiling at people you meet may give that unexpected lift to their day that otherwise would not have happened. Have an extra $5? Buy lunch for the next person in line ... just because. Say God Bless You when someone sneezes. Thinking of a friend? Call them and tell them so. It doesn't have to be an extended conversation ... in this era of instant communication, it doesn't always have to be verbal - send an email or a text message.

When you think you have nothing to give, consider this. Jesus gave to live ... He gave His LIFE, so that we may have life eternal. He does not ask that we give our life in the sense that we must die, but He asks that we give our life to Him and walk with Him. The price He paid is far greater than anything He will ever ask of us ... how can you say no?

Jesus, you gave so that I may live. Help me to give with your spirit, to help and encourage others. Show me the needs that I can meet, and guide me to meet them in your name.

"A greedy man stirs up dissension, but he who trusts in the LORD will prosper. He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe. He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." ~Proverbs 28:25-27 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment