I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

31 January 2009

Pray For Others

Yesterday morning, one of our coworkers here at SAMC was seriously injured in an automobile accident. Because of someone else's carelessness, Desiree is an inpatient recovering from surgery. We are thankful that she is doing well at this time, and I ask that we all keep her on our prayer list. Even though it may bring a question to mind of "why?", I also ask that we pray for the driver that caused the accident. (written 23 Jan 2008)

Each day, the majority of us get into our vehicle at some point in time - whether it be to go to work, go shopping, run errands, serve as a "kid taxi", go to church, visit friends - the list could go on and on. In today's society, and especially in the Dothan area, we are taxed with the complication of transportation if we choose to venture too far from home. Most things in town are relatively spread out, even though they are condensed in little pockets of commerce or community, and public transportation is not a viable option for most of us. When you sit in the driver's seat and fasten your seatbelt, the last thing on your mind is the thought that you could possibly be involved in an accident!

One of the most difficult things I have had to learn, and am still learning every day, is to put myself in the position of the other person. It is hard to do! I know that I want to think or say things sometimes, and I struggle with keeping those thoughts to myself. Take for example Desiree's accident. I wonder why in the world the other driver ran the stop sign, what was he thinking to carelessly endanger himself and others by doing so? Think about that for a brief minute. His state of mind at the time does not lessen the fact that he caused harm to other people by his actions. I realize in the legality of things that lawyers always talk about mitigating circumstances, but those circumstances do not change the outcome! He may have had a bad morning - if that were the case should he have gotten behind the wheel? Put yourself in those shoes for a minute: how many times have you gotten in the car angry? I know I have. I also know full well that I shouldn't.

In a roundabout way, what I'm trying to say is that while human nature is such that we are opinionated (well, 'most everyone I know is), we need to remember two things. First, there are two sides to every story. Second, it is not for us to judge. God will do that, in His time and in His way. It is often difficult to swallow, because there are times when we think that God doesn't move fast enough. Just remember, He is moving according to His plan. When you take those moments throughout the day to pray, pray for everyone involved. We all need God's love and mercy, and He deals with us each individually. How incredibly wonderful is that? I'm not student 23, nor employee 19544 - to God, I am Denise, uniquely His creation.

God, I ask today for your healing power to touch Desiree and the physicians, nurses, and techs that give her care. I also ask for your healing power to touch the other parties involved in her accident. Please give me the strength to depend on your power, and the understanding to realize that you are truly always in control.

"The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end." ~Isaiah 60:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment