I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

On Faith

Today was the day I've dreaded for several weeks now: the biology lab midterm. I studied until my mind became jumbled; last night it simply shut down and said "go to bed." Obediently, I crawled into bed and my head hit the pillow with thoughts of photosynthesis and cellular respiration running through my mind. (written 11 Oct 07)

Yesterday in class, Mrs. Bradley reviewed the topics for today's exam. She gave us an outline of the labs that would be covered, and which items in each lab we needed to know. I utilized different methods of studying for this test. Because we needed to know the parts of the animal and plant cells, I made copies of the pictures from the lab book. First, I used my text and lab books to properly identify each part. After identifying each part, I then noted what each part of the cells were responsible for. Did you know that centrioles have no known function?

Upon awakening this morning, I immediately sat down and began reviewing the formulas for photosynthesis and cellular respiration. Knowing that this was worth at least 10 points was enough to make me commit them to memory! I learned them by paraphrasing a statement Mrs. Bradley made during lecture, and probably remember them backwards from the way most people do. Photosynthesis only happens in plant cells, and photosynthesis takes two things (carbon dioxide and water plus the energy of the sun) and gives us two things we need: food (glucose) and air (oxygen). Once I thought of it that way, it was easier for me to remember. Cellular respiration simply reverses the equation. How simple is that? Just write it down in chemical form and you have it! That made me feel a lot better!!

Having Jesus as my savior makes me think of cellular respiration. He gives me the ability to have food (glucose) and to breathe (oxygen). His word is nourishment (glucose)! He gave His life so that I could live.

Jesus, thank you for the many blessings you have provided me. Thank you for the strength to believe in myself. With every breath that I take, may I praise your holy name!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ~Philippians 4:13 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment