I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Final Preparation

As school draws to a close for the semester, teachers are preparing or revising exams and students are frantically studying. Some are cramming, and some are not. If you look at your life, think of all the times you have prepared for something that you considered important. Baptism (well, if you were baptized as an infant that was more on your parents than you), First Communion, first day of school, first date, first day with makeup, first day to drive ... get the idea? (written 11 Dec 07)

If most of us know anything at all about the Bible, we know this: we don't know when our life will be over here on earth. Whether it ends before or after Jesus comes again, we don't know. We also do not know when Jesus will come again. He tells us in Matthew 24:44 NIV "So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

How, then, should one prepare for His return? It is really very simple. In John 14:6, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes unto the Father except through me.'" By believing that He is your savior, by asking Him into your life, the entrance into Heaven is open to you. There is no other way in except through Jesus.

As I look back over the semester, I realize that I have learned even more than I thought this time through school. I have learned that I cannot (and I really never should have) assume that things will come easily academically just because they always have in the past. I have learned that making an effort, attending class, and truly TRYING go a long way when you are asking an instructor to explain something that you just don't seem to get. Last, but certainly not least, I have learned that it is virtually impossible to learn and retain information by cramming at the last minute. The best (and often NOT most used) method of studying for me is to take the information as given, and break it down into something that relates to what I do or use daily (the Golgi apparatus is like the Wal-Mart distribution center). It tends to stick better that way.

What else can I give credit to for my successful semester? Faith. I pray frequently (and of course before every test). I remember to thank God for giving me the tools to complete the course of study that I have planned. It is only through Him that I am able to do this. By His grace, I am preparing to better my future while I am here on earth. My future in Heaven? That is already assured - and I am so blessed because of it!

God, thank you for the gifts that you have so generously bestowed upon me. Help me to utilize those gifts in a way that is both pleasing to you and helpful to those who may not yet know you. May I always be a beacon for someone struggling.

"I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."~Psalm 119:10-11 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment