I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Cancerous

What is cancer? Medically speaking, it can be defined as a malignant or invasive growth or tumor, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites. What I refer to is not the medical use of the word, but "an evil condition or thing that spreads destructively." (written 21 Sep 07)

Cancer seems to have almost invaded our society today, medically speaking. I would venture to say that almost every one of us has either been personally touched by cancer (self, loved one/family member), or knows someone who has. Or both. When my grandmother was found to have colon cancer in 1981, it was a shock. It had not really touched our family before then, and her sudden death hit us all very hard. When granddaddy was diagnosed with colon cancer, the story I've been told goes something like this: The doctor told granddaddy about treatments for his cancer. Granddaddy's response? "Son, I'm 91 years old. There isn't a thing you can do for me to make my life better than it has already been." I was living in New York at the time, and was not close enough to see granddaddy as often as I would have liked to. I'm not sure if that's exactly how it went, but knowing the beautiful soul that was my granddaddy, I don't have a problem believing it. Why do you think he had such an attitude? The cancer may have invaded his physical self, but his spiritual self was whole and hearty! He had no doubt. He knew he would be going home to be with his God. While he was on earth, he made a loving home for his children and grandchildren; but his heavenly home was waiting for him, and he was not afraid to go.

When I look at my life, there are many things that I need to change. Day by day, with Jesus holding my hand (and sometimes holding me up!), I am making those changes. He has given me a new outlook. By no means do I think that there is not room for improvement ... there is always room for improvement! If I allow the hurt, the anger, the wounded feelings to fester inside of me (the cancer of rage, if you will), more than my soul will begin to deteriorate. I believe that holding those feelings inside, nurturing those feelings, will cause physical harm. One step at a time, I am turning these feelings over to God. I am asking for His help. I do not want the emotional cancer to become a physical ailment.

Sometimes I wonder what I have done to deserve the love that God so freely gives me. He has taken me in, and is healing me. Why? Because I asked for His healing hand and because I believe in Him. What a powerful statement that makes. If we but ask and believe, we shall receive! Here's a little secret ... and a very powerful one ... God can hear you anywhere!! You can talk to Him in church, you can talk to Him at home, you can talk to Him in the middle of Wal-Mart. Ask Him into your life, trust that He can and will heal your pain, and believe that He is everything. Without Him, we can do nothing.

God, thank you for the many times you have healed me. I need your strength with me every day. May I never fail to praise you!

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the LORD's praise, for He has been good to me." ~Psalm 13:5,6 TNIV

No comments:

Post a Comment