I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

31 January 2009

Wait Patiently

A few months ago, my cousin Michelle forwarded a devotion to me that she thought I'd enjoy. Long story short, she knows me very well, and I subscribed to receive the devotions in my email. I can truly say that they have been thought provoking and uplifting. Between classes, I was re-reading some of the previous messages, and the theme struck me as something that I need to work on. I suspect that I am not alone ... so any feedback, tips, and suggestions are welcomed! (written 7 Jan 2008)

In his devotion of January 3, Dr. David Jeremiah opens with this quote from eighteenth century English minister Matthew Henry, '"Cast not away your confidence because God defers His performances. That which does not come in your time, will be hastened in His time, which is always the more convenient season. He is not bound to keep our time, but He will perform His word, honour our faith, and reward them that diligently seek Him."'

As I'm certain it was intended to do, it made me think. Many times I have thought that God was taking His own sweet time answering me when I wanted an answer right away. Realistically I know and believe that God answers when the time is right. What it has taken me years to understand is that there are times when I don't hear God's answer to me because sometimes the answer I receive is not the answer I wanted (or erroneously thought I needed) at the time and because of that, I am not listening in the way that I should.

This year, I am making many changes in my life. One important change is to spend more time listening to God, and listening for Him. His answers may not always come in the form that we expect. In today's 'hurry up and wait' society, we need to spend our time wisely. If we listen, God will guide us and answer our prayers. What better use of our time can we hope for?

God, thank you for the gifts that you have so generously given me. May I use these gifts to glorify you at all times. Open my ears, my eyes, and my heart to you so that every day will become clearer.

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes."~Psalms 37:3-7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment