I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Through The Eyes of A Child

Have you ever wondered what babies and young children think about? Once they have the ability to speak, children - especially young children - seem to have no fear at all about saying what's on their mind. At what point do we lose that ability? How often do you wonder, during a conversation, whether or not someone is telling you the truth? When does basic trust become overridden with skepticism - and how do we reverse that? (written 6 July 07)

As a new "nana", I am enjoying all over again the beauty and freshness of childhood. The expressions on my granddaughter's face as she explores her environment, reacts to the people and things around her, as she discovers new things she can do ... even I sometimes have a hard time finding the words to describe the way that makes me feel. Samantha is six months old today, and my daughter has been blessed indeed with a cheerful, happy-natured baby. Sami wakes up with a big smile on her face every morning. Even the grumpiest people have to smile when they see her! Already, she shows affection to those closest to her .. especially her mommy. Nikki will hold her, and Sami will take her little hands and put them on either side of her mommy's face and bring her in for kisses and hugs.

Somehow, the world looks brand new again in so many ways. Trying to imagine what Sami is thinking, wondering what it is that she sees as she watches her surroundings with those bright eyes, and hoping that she keeps that same sense of wonder as she grows. As parents, we want the best for our children. We want them to have things that we did not. I also wanted my children to have things that I DID have .. the love and support of family, even though we moved around so much during their childhoods. I want that same sense of family, of strong belonging for my granddaughter. She is blessed indeed, for she doesn't at this point have to go to daycare or to a babysitter while my daughter works, because her "Honey" (great-grandmother) takes care of her. That's right .. my mom took a leave of absence from her job and moved to Germany to live with (and be caregiver for) her great-granddaughter.

Being the recipient of Sami's unfettered devotion makes me realize how pure the love of a child truly is. Quite the wake-up call, for that is indeed how my Father God loves me. Unconditionally. For every stumble, for every divergence from the path, for every joyous moment ... He is there. He guides me! And now that I listen, it is amazing just how clearly He speaks! He did indeed bring me "out of the miry clay" and set my feet on the rock. What a blessing it is to be so loved!

"Then the little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them to pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these."" ~Matthew 19:13-14 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment