I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

I DO Believe in Miracles

Dictionary.com defines a miracle as "an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause, such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God." (written 7 Sep 07)

For a long time, my stock answer when asked if I believed in miracles was "Of course I do. I am one." Not necessarily in the sense that I think all God's creations are miracles (I do), but if you look at the overall picture of my birth and the events took place, well .. it meets my definition of a miracle.

When mama went into labor 13 weeks early, Dr. Stewart gave her a shot and told her that if anything could stop it, that would. It didn't. Just after midnight on April 21, I was born, weighing a whopping 2 pounds 8 ounces. Looking at the miracles that occur today with premature babies, I was almost chubby! In 1964, the survival rate for preemies was not what it is today. Add to that the fact that I was born in a small country hospital without a neonatal intensive care unit, and delivered by a GP. I spent the first 58 days of my life in an incubator. Miraculous? Maybe not. At some point during those two months, I lost oxygen to my incubator. It was not discovered until shift change.

In 1987, my oldest niece was born with the cord wrapped around her neck. In 1988, my son was born with the cord wrapped three times around his right arm at the shoulder. In 2007, my granddaughter was born completely blue. Today, all three are happy, healthy, and thriving. Miraculous? To me. Because they were born when and where they were born, because the doctors and nurses that were present had the skill and knowledge to ensure their survival, there are no signs that there was even any distress associated with their births.

Are all God's miracles big? Does every miracle appear in a stupendous way? I don't think so. We all define miracles in our own way. Hold a newborn. Look into that face, feel those fingers curl around yours and tell me miracles don't exist. Watch the sunrise (or sunset) and tell me that the splendor that is our God is not miraculous. Walk away from what should have been a fatal accident and tell me God doesn't work miracles. Large or small, a miracle is nothing more than God's way of telling us "Yep, I'm here. And I can."

God, thank you for the blessing that is life. Thank you for making me. With your guidance and love, I know that I will fulfill the plans you created when you created me. May I never become so blind that I cannot see your miracles.

"In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." ~Job 12:10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment