I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Time For An Adjustment

Have you ever visited a chiropractor? You feel so good when you leave the office! Something about the way the doctor manipulates your spine, putting things back in order, just refreshes you. Aches and pains ease, and sometimes go away entirely! (written 25 Sep 07)

I have visited a chiropractor off and on for the past five years. In the past year or so, it's been a lot more "off" than "on." Chiropractic has both its "yea-sayers" and naysayers. From a personal point of view, chiropractic is beneficial because it takes away the pain and allows me to function without having to resort to medication. Every patient responds to chiropractic treatment differently, and not every patient receives the same type of treatment. My chiropractor knows me as a person, not just as a patient. To him, I'm not just an aching back or stiff neck, I'm Denise.
The soreness in my neck that has plagued me for more than a week prompted an offhand comment to him on Sunday, and a call to his office yesterday to set up today's appointment. He took x-rays, reviewed them, then set up a course of treatment that will both alleviate the pain and fix the problem.

As a young believer, I also am in need of an adjustment. Realizing what God would have me do is a new process, and requires change on my part. Please understand when I say "change" what I am referring to. God doesn't see me as a slightly overweight, messy-haired smart-alec. What He sees in me is His child, searching for His truth, looking to Him for answers, and trusting in His love and guidance. He sees Denise, and all that I am. He does not require me to change my outward appearance to receive His love and grace. The change required is a soul change. I have to change my attitude.

Asking God back into my life meant that I was handing the reins over to Him. "I trust in You! Help me to change what must change so that I am better able to do what you would have me do." God answered that fervent pleading. One step at a time, one day at a time, I am learning ... I am readjusting. God has given me an assignment, and the more I adjust, the stronger I grow.
God, thank you for helping me see how I need to adjust my priorities. Thank you for being the guiding force that is adjusting my life. Thank you for giving me the strength to adjust my attitude. May I never fail to praise your power of adjustment!

"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken." ~Isaiah 1:18-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment