I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

As You Have Done

If you knew that you would get what you gave ... would it change what and how you give? If for every hurtful word, you received one, would you temper your tongue? (written 11 Sep 07)

Thanks to the intricacies of the internet and connections, I managed to lose what I had originally written (yes, I know you should save often .. and I didn't). Maybe that's just God's way of telling me I needed to say something else. A conversation with a friend of mine this morning has been rather enlightening. I will be the first to tell you that I have a horrible habit of being rather sarcastic. Why? I'm not even sure I know anymore. It originally started as a defense mechanism, and has just somehow grown to become a part of my personality that I like less and less as time goes on. What I failed to realize is that for those who do not know me, it may appear to indeed be WHO I am. Nothing, actually, could be further from the truth.

Those who know me know that the sarcastic smartypants is NOT me. Never having given it too much thought, I never realized how that aspect of my personality could be viewed by someone who does not know me well. Applying that revelation to myself made me think. How DO I come across? Would God have me be a smartalec? What does that say about me? How does that affect any message I try to pass on?

Galatians 6:7 tells us "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (NIV) If I sow the seeds of sarcasm and unpleasantness, how can I then complain about the negativity that I reap? I cannot. I also cannot do it alone. If someone says hurtful things to me, shall I respond in kind? What message does that send? I have to consider that everything I say is being recorded. Why? If I wouldn't want to hear the words again, or wouldn't want them broadcast for a large audience, why would I say them to someone? Think before you speak is wise counsel, and words I would do well to heed. If what I say does not reflect who I am, I need to change what I say, or how I say it.

Several verses have spoken to me today, and I pray that I heed the wisdom contained within. Lord, help me control the words that I say, so that you need not be ashamed of my voice. Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth until I learn to say those things that will glorify you. Please help me to consider the feelings of the recipient of my words, so that I do not (knowingly or unknowingly) hurt them by what I say.

" ... For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." ~Matthew 12:34,37 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment