I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Incomplete

The Backstreet Boys’ release of “Incomplete” in 2005 added another song to my ever-growing list. Songs speak to me much as books do, at different times and for different reasons. On the surface, this song appears to be a tale of love lost. Listening to the words tonight, they suddenly took on a completely new meaning. (written 22 Oct 07)


“Empty spaces, fill me up with holes, distant faces, with no place left to go, without you, within me, I can’t find no rest, where I’m going is anybody’s guess.” I wonder what Dan Muckala, Lindy Robbins, and Jess Cates meant when they penned these words? My interpretation tonight is vastly different, I would venture to say. Just a few short months ago, even though I called myself a believer, I was not living with Jesus in my heart and mind. Knowing that something needed to change, I still saw no hope on the horizon. My faith was failing, and I was fading fast. Until I asked Jesus to come into my life again, I was simply a restless wanderer.


“I try to go on like I never knew you. I’m awake, but my world is half asleep. I pray for this heart to be unbroken, but without you all I’m going to be is incomplete.” (Muckala, et al) Struggling through my life without Him was like walking through quicksand. My progress was slow, and I was sinking gradually. Every day was a repeat of the day before, and my tomorrows did not hold any prospect of change. Life held no joy for me. The love of friends and family only boosted me if I was in their presence. Once alone, the doubts and fears came slamming back in full force. I was alone, in a life I was increasingly unhappy about living.


Opening my heart to Christ and the miracle of love that He bestows was like rain on the parched earth of my soul. Just as the grass turns green again with even a small amount of rain, His peace refreshes my soul and gives me hope. No longer am I alone, even in my darkest hours. He has promised to be with me always. Regardless of the circumstance, He is indeed “within me”. My horizon is full of hope. This restless wanderer has found the road home.


Jesus, thank you for making my life complete. With you, anything is possible. May my words always praise you!


“The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou has delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.” ~Psalm 116:6-8 AKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment