I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Do Your Best

It's crunch time and the pressure is on. Every student in the world knows what this means, regardless of how it manifests itself. Today was the biology lab final, next week is finals week. I freely admit that 99% of the pressure I feel at this point is self-induced. How do I lessen that feeling? (written 5 Dec 07)

I have heard (and said) "do your best" for years. As a child, I knew what my parents expected of me. My siblings and I were all blessed with the ability to do well academically with a minimal amount of studying. Whether or not we chose to perform up to our abilities varied depending on the subject, the teacher, and our particular mood at the time (yes, hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20). We were all also blessed in that we passed those skills to our children.

Every child is different, any parent (and any teacher) will attest to that fact. A student's knowledge may not always show through traditional testing methods. My three children vary widely in academic performance, but they were all excellent students. What a parent expects from a child should never be based on how a sibling performs. The only thing I expected from my children was for them to do their best. Their talents lie in different areas. Nikki is a gifted vocalist and a talented writer, but she will freely tell you that she is not an excellent speller (thank goodness for spell check). Creighton performs especially well academically and is very strong in math, science, and writing, but his weakness is in the arts. Danielle is a maestro with a camera, does well in math and science, but doesn't particularly care to read (depending on the subject matter). What are your strengths and what do you feel is something you need to work on?

If we do the best with the skills that we have, we will shine. Personally, I believe you are never too old to learn. Enhancing the skills that you have, and the possibility of learning something new gives you a goal for each day. I don't know who said (and cannot find through google) "do your best and leave the rest to God," but I feel that it is a fitting phrase for life. He does not expect us to do more than we are capable of, but He is the one who gave us those capabilities - and He knows exactly what they are. If we do the best we can, God will take care of the rest for us.

God, I thank you for the abilities with which you have so generously blessed me. May I never lessen your gift by failing to do my best. Teach me to be what you would have me be, help me to use my gift to praise you always.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."~Ecclesiastes 9:10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment