I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

19 January 2009

Love Everlasting

Whether you are in a relationship or would like to be, you have your own ideas of what "love" is. What does it mean to you? (written 30 Aug 07)

As a child, I knew love. My parents and family members never hesitated to show love. I often laugh about the fact that I come from a "huggy-kissy" family. We're not afraid to display affection to one another. When I became a parent, I did my best to raise my children the same way. I tried never to be too busy for a hug or kiss for my children, and even today, make time for it when I see them. I will usually not hesitate to hug a friend. When I was married, I showed affection to my spouse. What I want to think about for today, however, is not what we may think of when we hear the word "love."

God, our Father, is the source of love. Think about it ... especially if you have children. For God so loved us, that He gave his only begotten son! As a parent, the thought of losing a child (any child, and especially my own) strikes a terror in my heart. Honestly, if God were to take my child, I know I would struggle long and hard to resolve my feelings. I have the utmost faith and trust in Him, and know that He knows what is right, and when it is right. God knew that giving his son would be what we needed. He made that sacrifice! Did it lessen his pain any by knowing that Jesus would rise again? I don't know, but I do know that my God is all-knowing. He speaks to us of love, telling us that we must love one another. He does not refer to the physical sense of love, but the open-heart caring from one to another.

Matthew 25 speaks of the believers receiving their kingdom. Why? As Jesus speaks in verse 35, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in ... " As the believers are questioning, He simply replies in verse 40, "... I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Think of how powerful that is. As we give of ourselves one to another, sharing, we are doing as Christ would have us do.

Stop and think for a moment about your day-to-day routine. I know, personally, that mine is nuts sometimes. I am making a sincere effort to think, however, about what I say and do. How does this reflect my belief and faith? Would Jesus be proud of me? Simplistic? Maybe. For me, it is my way of trying to give as He has freely given to me. Giving and loving does not always mean money! To your child (any child), what means more? Your time. You can show love to your fellow man in small ways, and in large ways. Do what you are able to do, and do it with a willing heart. It won't always be easy, and there will be times when you might not want to, but remember what God gave to you. He asks simply that we love one another, and believe and trust in Him.

God, as I move through my day, let my actions and words reflect the love that you have so generously given me. Give me also the strength to trust in you, for I know you will guide me if I but give you that trust.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." ~Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment