I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Sixty Minutes

When you say "Sixty Minutes," what comes to mind? Like most people I know, the first thing I would normally think of is the Sunday evening news program that I never got to watch when I was younger because it interfered with Sunday night church. As I grew older (and out of the habit of Sunday evening church), I came to enjoy the weekly news and commentary. Since beginning my employment with SAMC last August, I've been exposed to a different meaning for those two words. "Sixty Minutes" is also an informative brief offered all employees by hospital management that breaks down our goals as a hospital, and how we as individuals impact those goals. (written 13 Nov 07)

This briefing, if you will, is structured rather informally. Each speaker takes a few minutes to review our goals: where we were, what we aimed for, and the results. Rather than just numbers and graphs, we received real examples that made the numbers equate to people, painting the big picture with realistic colors. To meet our goals, each area implemented new processes over the course of the year. Some worked, some did not. The amazing part? Much of the feedback about process implementation came from employees and patients. The slogan "Whatever you do, do it well" is indeed a vital part of our organization, and something that our management team realizes must be a belief at every level. Guess what happens? When employees can see real proof that they make a difference, things happen ... and continue to happen.

Let's look at sixty minutes in yet another way. Imagine the impact on your life, and possibly other lives, if you were to dedicate sixty minutes of your day to deepening your relationship with Christ. Before you stop and tell yourself that there is "no way I can add one more thing into my day," think about this: sixty minutes is nothing more than ten minutes, six different times. If ten minutes is too much at one time, try six minutes ... ten times. You get the idea.

Just how can I go about strengthening and deepening my relationship with Christ in just a few minutes a day? In the ten minutes it takes me to walk from the parking lot to the hospital (or from the hospital to the parking lot), I can pray. In the ten free minutes I have between getting up and getting out of bed, I can read my Bible. In the ten minute drive from home to Wal-Mart, I can call a friend who might need a little pick-me-up. There are many more ideas ... what can YOU do?

I believe this will impact my life, and by doing so, allow me to reach out and share His love with others. I challenge you to think about how you can spend sixty minutes a day with Jesus ... and let's compare notes! You may have an idea that fits someone else just perfectly, and you've both gained from it!

Jesus, open my heart and mind to a deeper relationship with you. Give me the strength and wisdom to grow and learn, and continue to share the difference you have made and are making in my life. May I always be a student of your word, and a messenger to others.

"In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise - in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life."~Psalm 56:10-13 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment