I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

But I Didn't Do It!

For most of us, childhood probably had its share of "uh-oh" moments. You know the ones I mean, something got misplaced or broken and you just KNEW you were in big trouble! Parents were going to be mad, but you didn't mean to do it. Surely they'd understand, wouldn't they? If they didn't, you could always use the "I didn't do it" or "It wasn't MY fault" excuse. Sometimes they even worked! (written 31 Oct 07)

Is this a habit that has followed you into adulthood? I know that I have been guilty of uttering those words. Have you ever been reprimanded at work for something you didn't do? It is VERY difficult to bite your tongue when that happens. The almost immediate response that jumps to mind is "but I didn't do it!" How, then, do you control that impulse?

Growing older has been both a blessing and a bane. Learning to keep my mouth closed when I would be better off saying nothing has been an involved process. There are many times when I literally have to bite my tongue to keep from spouting off when something irks me or I feel something is incorrect. I am trying every day, sometimes literally every minute, to look at things thoroughly and not snap back a reply before considering what I am going to say. Once said, words cannot be taken back. "I didn't do it" may indeed be the truth, but is it the right answer? Are you sure that your words or actions were not misinterpreted by the recipient? There is one facet of my life that I can proudly say that I DID do! I did indeed ask Jesus to come back into my life, to save me by His grace, and to make a home for me in Heaven when He deems it my time to leave the earth. Yes, I DID do it!

Jesus, thank you for being my savior. Thank you for all the times that you have had to put your hand over my mouth to keep me from blurting out things that are best left unsaid. Thank you for taking those unsaid things from inside me to keep them from becoming a poisonous buildup. May I always have the words to praise your holy name!

"I will praise the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure ... " ~Psalm 16:7-9 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment